This weekend is Memorial Day weekend! It is a weekend to remember and honor those who have unselfishly served this country with their lives! As customary, there may be parties, cookouts, and functions to commemorate this day. Regardless on how you choose to celebrate, CCAPSA, Inc. wants youth to stay safe and sober on this holiday and encourages parents to get creative in the actions taken in order to keep alcohol out of the hands of underage youth.
CCAPSA wants to make everyone aware and encourage families to considered the following tips:
- If allow your teen to celebrate with neighbors or friends, know the parent(s)/guardian(s)/adult(s) of your teen’s friends
- If you plan to attend an event outside of the home, talk with other parent(s)/guardian(s)/adult(s) to make sure that alcohol is not available at the events youth will attend
- Talk with your child about responsible behavior regarding alcohol
- Set a good example for responsible adult alcohol use, if you choose to drink
- Have activities (i.e., games, door prizes, etc.) that do not involve alcohol
- If hosting, hide, track, and/or properly lock away all alcohol in the vicinity
- If hosting, do not push alcoholic drinks – provide tasty non-alcoholic options
- If hosting, never serve alcohol to someone under 21 and never ask anyone under 21 to serve alcohol at parties
- Learn more about Social Host Ordinances effective in your area
Have fun and stay safe this weekend!
Parents Resources and Additional Information
Tips For Throwing A Safe Summer Party
Talking to Your Teen: Underage Drinking
“Talk. They Hear You.”®“Talk. They Hear You.”®: SAMHSA Campaign
Download the “Talk. They Hear You.”® App or text “TALK” to 85775 for conversation starter ideas and tips!