The holidays are approaching FAST! That means this is the time for planning gifts, family time, and… HOLIDAY PARTIES! As the host of your own upcoming holiday parties and celebrations, remember to keep everyone safe and all minors sober.
A FUN party is a SAFE one!
Create a safe atmosphere for your children, younger relatives, and friends by NOT providing them with alcohol! SUPERVISION does not mean SAFE!
Even for adults over the age of 21, know your guests’ ages and be able to gauge their blood alcohol levels to know if they are okay to drive.
AS A REMINDER: As a social host, you have the following responsibilities…
- Refusing to supply alcohol to anyone underage anywhere on your property
- Being visible when there are parties on your property
- Hiding, tracking, and properly locking away any alcohol on the premises
- Reporting any parties with underage drinking to the local police department of the Cobb’s Sheriff’s Office at 770-499-4719
First offenses will have you fined $150+ and following offenses cost $500+.
But there’s more than just your party to think about. For the celebrations your teen may be attending on their own, know where your teen is headed. Speak with parents hosting other parties to ensure there will not be underage drinking either.
“Not-So-Fun” Facts (from the U.S. Department of Transportation):
- Nationally, over the past 5 years, an average of 300 people died in drunk driving crashes the week between Christmas and New Year
- Alcohol-impaired fatalities make up more than a quarter of all crash fatalities
- In 2016, 781 people lost their lives in drunk-driving-related crashes in the month of December alone.
Keep you and your family out of these statistics, and keep them safe during this holiday season!