Over the weekend there was a sharp increase in the death toll from drug overdoses in Middle Georgia. Robert Ketchup, a 30-year-old man from Macon, was found dead in what is suspected to be the result of ingesting a street sold synthetic opioid being marketed as Percocet. The drug is believed to contain two synthetic opioids including fentanyl, an extremely powerful narcotic used for pain control. Ketchup’s death follows a plethora of overdoses from this same drug in other Middle Georgia counties, including Bibb, Houston, Monroe, and Dougherty counties. Thirteen of the thirty-seven overdose cases occurred in Bibb County alone. The recent upsurge of overdoses caused by these pills has been so disturbing that one Chief Coroner compared it to an epidemic. A public health alert was issued last Monday by state officials to bring awareness to the seriousness of ingesting this drug and to warn against buying pills on the street.
To read this article and learn more, visit the link below: