A new year is an opportunity for new chances, to set new goals, and establish new resolutions! Although our mission and messaging here at CCAPSA, Inc. has not change, the new year gives us the opportunity to spread awareness in a new way! We still want to encourage all of our parents, partners, and stakeholders to have that One Honest Conversation.
Opioids are now one of the leading causes of injury-related deaths in which more people are said to die from overdose than from car crashes. But… one honest conversation can help make a difference.
- A conversation with loved ones.
- Youth are 50% less likely to use drugs when parents tell them about the risks associated with opioid misuse and abuse. Talk with your kids and share the facts. They are listening!
- You can also encourage your loved ones to talk with their doctor about other ways to treat pain rather than opioid drugs.
- A conversation with your doctor.
- Prescription pain medication can be highly addictive. Talk with your doctor about other ways to manage pain so you won’t have to have the medication in your home for others to have potential access. Other pain relief options might include trying a milder option first, such as Tylenol or Advil.
- Talk with a behavioral health provider about strategies that can help manage stress like physical therapy or other therapies such as acupuncture or massage.
When it comes to preventing opioid misuse, you can be the one to help keep your family safe! As a part of our 2022 New Year’s resolutions, let’s make and even greater effort to talk with your loved ones and share the facts. It begins with one step. One act of courage. One honest conversation.